Thursday, June 04, 2009

Burger H&E

I imagine it played out like this:

An internist, a surgeon and a pathologist walk into a fast food joint and each order a burger. The internist says, "I wonder if there is any meat in there", the surgeon takes a bite, turns the pathologist and says: "can you tell me if there was meat in there tomorow?"...

So I guess after a bunch of H&E later and a manuscript sent to the annals of diagnostic pathology, we find out that the meat content on average barely breaks 15%. On the other hand you'll find connective tissues, blood vessels, bone, plant and intracellular parasites and lots of water. Thankfully, no neurons...

So the moral of the story is never bring a pathologist to a fast food joint if you want to be able to enjoy your burger.


6 comments:

Rob said...

I'm surprised that it actually sounds worse than I would have thought. I thought I had a pretty low opinion of fast food burgers already.
BTW while the tested burgers had no detected brain tissue they did observe peripheral nerves.

Kamel said...

You'd better not check out the hot dog study then...

Kamel said...

I'd be curious to see what the results are on a steak (i.e. a piece of skeletal muscle tissue). What about in store bought ground beef? I'm guessing you'll still find high water content, fat and blood vessels. What's the % meat content of what is condsidered a quality piece of edible meat?

Considering store bought frozen boneless, skinless chicken breasts are usually labelled <20% meat protein, the low 'meat content' of a fast food burger doesn't really surprise me (nor the fact that some of them are supplemented with plant products). Sure thinking about some of the other stuff that might be in there is gross, but probably no more gross than the 'special sauce' it's smothered in.

Anonymous said...

Mmmmmmmmmmmm protists . . .

Bayman said...

Looks delicious. Time to fire up the bar-b...

The Doc said...

There are laws, in New Zealand, governing how much lean muscle meat you can put into a pie and still call it a pie.
I recall a major witch hunt over the major brands of pies when the law changed.