Thursday, March 05, 2009

Goodbye Nature Podcast!!!

Well I recently got into the iPod game and have been trying to get into the podcast listening thing. Naturally one of the first I subscribed to was the ubiquitous NATURE (tm) podcast. I think I gave it a fair chance. I listened to a few podcasts start to finish with an open mind. But basically it's the least interesting thing on my iPod. Given the choice, I think I'd prefer to check the bus seats with my "A Free Level" app or listen to "Everybody Hurts" on repeat for an equivalent length of time. So with only a couple of GB of free space left, it's time for Darwinian selection to do its thing. Select all....DELETE! Ah that felt good.

I don't know what it is about that podcast that rubs me the wrong way. I mean it's well done and produced and I think they do a great job making the kind of podcast they're aiming for. It reminds me a lot of that science show that used to be on the Discovery channel back when I got cable. Newsy, ridden with catch-phrases that make no scientific sense and science-fiction analogies that get dumb people excited. Much less about how science really works...you know, like experiments and stuff. Something the Metro or CTV news could be proud of, but for the world's best publishing house of REAL SCIENCE, it sucks. I'll stick to browsing the great science on the posted on the Nature website, and save the iPod space for one of the many other great and original quality podcasts out there. Like the Ricky Gervais Podcast...


3 comments:

Rob said...

Other podcast reviews??
What about the Science magazine podcast? Or scientific american? I quite like both of them.

Anonymous said...

totally -- i gave up on the nature podcast a few months ago, after a year of listening, because it so rarely succeeded in being interesting...

Anonymous Coward said...

I like it, but I do wish there were more details sometimes. My only qualm is that all the podcast (nature, science etc...) cover the same stories so I end up hearing about the same discovery 3-4 times...