Wednesday, January 21, 2009

siRNA cream for STDs

There is a small pharma company that is touting a new anti-herpes cream that protects against HSV-2 transmission. The cream contains two siRNAs: one targeted at nectin in the cells of the vaginal lining and the other UL29 in the viral genome. Nectin ko mice are resistant to HSV infection and UL29 is presumably vital for the virulence. The delivery is via a lipid system. Obviously this would be a nice approach to a number of viral STDs including AIDS. However I couldn't help but facepalm when I read the press release:

"As a new route to making better drugs, several companies have locked onto technology using small, interfering RNAs or siRNAs. These are molecules that can silence microRNAs -- tiny strands of RNA, or ribonucleic acid, that help turn genes into proteins."

Really... really?

But it makes we wonder, how long before we have an miRNA cream? They are, after all, bigger than siRNAs. Even bigger than p53.


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Does this cream also provide lubrication?

Robert Jennifer said...

Thats a good' article, i usually amazed with' this thing, i asked myself about this opinion, I wish You'll a better articles that can make another people live..don't make the article feel rigit and isn't interesting and poor, i like to read this' article and i think this is "good".thank you' m'y brother.exterminators new jersey

Robert Jennifer said...

I know where I'm going and I know the truth, and I don't have to be what you want me to be. I'm free to be what I want.Thankyou i really love it,location voiture agadir maroc

Robert Jennifer said...

I have been searching about this topic and decided to do some research. Your article has some useful information. Do you have any more on this subject?gander real estate

Robert Jennifer said...

This is a terrific article, and I would love to read more on this if you have any. I am really fascinated with this topic and found your post as one of the best I have ever read.chiropractor near me

Robert Jennifer said...

There is a huge craze in the market for these MUVs, I have seen these vehicles in many showrooms. A new car dealership has just launched in our area, I have heard they also have a couple of MUVs in their showroom,standardconcessionsupply.com

Anonymous said...


24*7 mobile truck repair in Atlanta.. Premium Truck and Trailer Repair LLC all the truck repair, trailer repair, services in Conley, Atlanta. Premium Truck and Trailer Repair LLC offers high quality and cost effective truck and trailer repair services. Our professional truck repair near me can fix your heavy duty truck and trailer for hassle free travel.